Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Keane Still Hopeful Of Snaring Second Spurs Pair

Having already signed two players from Tottenham, Sunderland manager Roy Keane says he remains ‘very hopeful’ that Steed Malbranque and Younes Kaboul will also make the switch from White Hart Lane to Wearside within the next 24 hours.

Keane Still Hopeful Of Snaring Second Spurs Pair

Despite some reports to the contrary, neither Aston Villa or Portsmouth have yet agreed a deal with Spurs for French defender Kaboul, who along with Malbranque has held talks with Keane with Tottenham‘s permission.

The Black Cats have already completed the signings of Tottenham pair Teemu Tainio and Pascal Chimbonda and if they manage to make it a quartet the total cost will be around £23 million.

With the deals for both Malbranque and Kaboul progressing only slowly, Keane has stressed that he will not be left hanging on a decision. He told the Sunderland Echo:

"I would expect news on the other two Tottenham lads in the next 24 hours – whether they are coming or not. We are very hopeful, but I appreciate that it is a big decision for them.

"I was delighted with the four players I have spoken to from Tottenham; we've managed to get two of them sorted out and we're hoping to do the same with the other two.

"I had a similar situation last summer with David Nugent. I waited five weeks for him but I won't be waiting for five weeks for anyone this year. We've got other targets too and I think there will be plenty of activity over the next four or five weeks.

"But there comes a time where they have to make a decision and I think that time is going to come over the next 24 hours.

"If they come then fantastic, we'll be delighted. But if not, life goes on.”

Alluding to Portsmouth’s supposed move for Kaboul, Keane added:

"Other clubs may have made contact but I know for a fact we are the only club to have agreed fees with Tottenham because they have kept us updated with what is going on,” Keane added.

"So it is very strange to find out that other managers are speaking to these players. As far as I understand it, you only speak to a player when you've agreed a fee with his club and been given permission to speak to him.

"Maybe I'm very innocent, but I also know how the game works, unfortunately."

No comments:

Blog Archive

 

If You Want To Exchange: All4All@hotmail.com
All4All