Monday, July 28, 2008

Gunner Djourou Wants Fresh Start

Johan Djourou is keen to kick-start his Arsenal career having enjoyed a loan spell at Birmingham last term...

 Johan Djourou - Gabriel Agbonlahor ,Birmingham City - Aston Villa

He may be a tall, athletic Arsenal midfielder with a defence-minded approach, but it remains unclear whether Johan Djourou can become the Gunners' new Patrick Viera.

The 21-year-old has failed to make a significant breakthrough thus far in his career. The Swiss his early days with Etoile Carouge before impressing scouts and moving to London as part of the Arsenal academy.

Used sparingly by Arsene Wenger in terms of the first team, he was farmed out on loan to Birmingham last term, making 13 top-flight appearances for the doomed Blues.

A couple of blunders and injury niggles ended his run in Alex McLeish's starting XI, but he showed enough promise at St Andrew's to convince Wenger that he could provide solid cover whilst several Gunners departed for the African Cup of Nations.

Now, Djourou is ready to prove his worth after a couple of fine displays at the tail end of last season.

Happy

An unused substitute during co-hosting Switzerland's Euro 2008 campaign, the versatile player is keen to start over as the new season looms large.

Asked if pre-season represented a fresh start, he told Arsenal TV: “It think so, it's true.

“I had a spell at Birmingham, but before I had that I had a season [for Arsenal] where I played 30 games. Now I want to start again fresh and see how it goes.

“Last season was tough for me. The spell at Birmingham was good and I could play a lot. Unfortunately, I got an injury that was there for a little while.

“That was frustrating because I want to come back and play. I feel good now and I am happy about that because I want to get started again.”

Djourou is one of the fringe players hoping to be involved against Burgenland XI in Monday's pre-season friendly.

No comments:

Blog Archive

 

If You Want To Exchange: All4All@hotmail.com
All4All