Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I am a striker, insists Podolski

Lukas Podolski is eager to fight for a place in Bayern Munich's frontline, despite starring for Germany as a left winger in EURO 2008.

Poldi set for Bayern stay

The 23-year-old struggled for a regular spot in the Bayern roster last season, thanks to the presence of Luca Toni and Miroslav Klose upfront.

However, Poldi was arguably Germany's best performer in Austria and Switzerland, where Joachim Loew rediscovered him in the left-wing position.

Podolski, who was poised to leave Allianz Arena this summer, was strongly linked with former club FC Koln, but has now declared his readiness to fight for a place in Jurgen Klinsmann's setup.

"I'll be there for the season opener against Hamburger SV on August 15," he said in an interview with Bundesliga.de.

"I sat on the bench most of the time and that's why I was thinking things over; it's logical.

"But I recently had a good talk with Jurgen Klinsmann and I'm looking forward to the coming season and totally concentrating on it.

"No coach in the world can guarantee a player a regular spot on the team. Everyone has to battle for his position

"I'm a flexible player who can play a variety of positions, but I am first and foremost a striker and I'll fight for my place in the attack."

Bayern will miss key winger Franck Ribery for the start of the season, an issue that could force Klinsmann to use Podolski in a wider position.

No comments:

Blog Archive

 

If You Want To Exchange: All4All@hotmail.com
All4All