Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Heitinga: Hard Work Will Pay Off

John Heitinga believes that all the hard work Atlético de Madrid are doing during their trip to Mexico will pay dividends in the Champions League qualifiers next month.

John Heitinga : Atlético de Madrid

The Dutch defender is revelling in his first few weeks with Los Colchoneros and despite not having tasted victory yet he is pleased with the way pre-season is going.

Against Tigres in Atleti's third game against Mexican opposition Heitinga scored, but he it was the performance of the team and the improvement of fitness levels he was more concerned with.

"I am very pleased to have scored my first goal for Atlético. But I know that my job is not to score goals. I know very well that I am a defender and that is my first responsibility," he told AS.

"It is still clear that we are not at our top level yet and we have more work to do to improve that. I think in our first official game though the work we have done in Mexico at altitude will show.

"This club has spent 12 seasons without being in the Champions League and that is a long time away. Now we have to win the qualifier and make it through. Right now, that is our main objective.

Coach Javier Aguirre will be able to choose where to play Heitinga after he revealed that his favourite position is not at full-back, but in the middle.

"I like to play in the centre of defence the most, more than playing at full-back or in midfield," he continued.

Despite there being almost five weeks until the start of the new season, Heitinga is excited about the prospect of playing in la Primera for the first time.

"I am anxious to start. I really want to know what it is like to play in the Spanish league. I am also really looking forward to making my league debut at home in the Calderón," he added.

No comments:

Blog Archive

 

If You Want To Exchange: All4All@hotmail.com
All4All