Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Solskjaer Excited By Coaching Challenge

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is ready to shed his baby-face persona as he embarks on his new career with Manchester United…

Barclays Premier League: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer , Manchester United - Sunderland

Solskjaer was unveiled as United’s new reserves coach in May, taking over from Brian McClair and Jimmy Ryan, who now direct the club’s youth academy.

The appointment was a popular one, to say the least. The 35-year-old is undoubtedly one of the best-loved Red Devils in recent history, having earned both the adoration of United fans and the admiration of rival supporters during his time at Old Trafford.

But the Baby-Faced Assassin will not be aiming to win any popularity contests in his new role, insisting he will take a firm approach in order to get the very best out of his charges.

“I believe that you have to be because what was good enough for me when I was 18 or 19 isn't good enough for them nowadays,” Solskjaer told United’s official website. “I've learned so much about what I should have done when I was that age subsequently.

“I think you need to push them a bit, but the boys want to be pushed as well. It's not a doddle being a professional footballer, so I think they'll have to shed their fair share of sweat. I'm really looking forward to it. It's a great challenge.”

After ending his playing career last year, Solskjaer remained with United in something of an advisory role, participating in training sessions with the youths and reserves on a casual basis.

The Norwegian ex-striker confessed he is thrilled to have landed the gig full-time and is looking forward to the challenge of preparing the Red Devils’ best young prospects for the rigours of top-flight football.

“I did a few sessions last year and some with the youth team,” he said. “I asked Choccy (Brian McClair) sometimes if I could have the Reserves to work with, to challenge myself because when you're doing coaching courses, you don't want to go in cold.

“I've enjoyed that and now they're my responsibility, so that's a better challenge as well.”

No comments:

Blog Archive

 

If You Want To Exchange: All4All@hotmail.com
All4All