Saturday, July 12, 2008

Beckham Tips Altidore To Shine

David Beckham has tipped American teenager Jozy Altidore to make a positive impression in La Liga after his move from Red Bull New York to Villarreal.



Altidore became the most expensive American footballer in history when he joined Villarreal for a fee in the region of £10 million in June, and Beckham believes that the striker has the credentials to prove himself in Spain’s top-flight.

The ex-Real Madrid midfielder told Marca: “He is 18-years-old and he is on a learning path, but he could make a name for himself in La Liga. He is a good player, very young, strong, aggressive.”

The teenager has risen to prominence with a string of quality displays for his club, and became a senior international for the USA last November.

Altidore arrives without the weight of expectation that was heaped on the young shoulders of Landon Donovan and Benfica’s Freddy Adu, both of whom have struggled to raise their profile in Europe.

Donovan’s failure to make the grade at Bayer Leverkusen is something that baffles Beckham, who insists that his Galaxy team-mate is the finest footballing talent in the States.

He continued: “I don’t know why (American players struggle in Europe), because Landon Donovan is a very good player.

“I train with him every day and in the United States I have not seen a player of his talent. He played in Germany … but I think that here he is better because he is happier. His family is here and all this is very important for a player.”

After struggling to win over pundits with a subdued first MLS campaign, the 33-year-old Beckham has recently begun to thrive in America’s top division.

Of his own time in Los Angeles, Beckham said: “I am very happy,” he said. “I have been here a year and my family is very happy, my children have a lot of friends and they are enjoying school, my wife is happy working and living here … and I am also enjoying my football in Los Angeles a lot. As such I am in a good moment.”

1 comment:

Carolina said...

this blog is awesome! Great going!

Blog Archive

 

If You Want To Exchange: All4All@hotmail.com
All4All