Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Conte: Italian Hooligans Are Shameful!

Antonio Conte, Bari (Foto Grazia Neri)
Former Juventus star, and current Bari coach, has slammed the hooligans who attacked him in his hometown of Lecce.


Conte was relaxing on a beach near his hometown of Lecce on Sunday where he took part in a five-a-side match, before a number of local thugs attacked him, accusing him of being a traitor for coaching rivals Bari.

“As soon as I finished a five-a-side match, which was a memorial for my cousin who died in a car crash a few years back, seven or eight men walked on to the field and came straight at me,” Conte told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“They were holding sticks and metal bars. They tried to hit me, but fortunately didn’t manage it. They were wearing T-Shirts with ‘I Hate Bari’ and even chased after my brother, Gianluca. Thankfully they were scared off by a police car and a few of our friends.

“Physically I am fine, but psychologically I am hurting badly. I am furious at this incredibly serious incident. It happened in front of my wife, my nine-month-old baby and many other children who were at the game.

“I never imagined someone could organise an ambush in my home city. It’s shameful!

“Lecce is my city. My family lives here. I just hope this incident can shock people into realising how ridiculous that attitude is and that those responsible do not get away with it.”

The image of Italian football has been badly tarnished in recent years by scandals both on-and-off the pitch, and hooliganism is a serious problem that the authorities are struggling to stamp out in view of this latest incident.

Conte played for Lecce from 1985 to 1992, but his best known for his spell at Juventus from 1992 to 2004 where he won virtually every honour in the club game, including five Scudetti, a Champions League, UEFA Cup, and a Intercontinental Cup.

No comments:

Blog Archive

 

If You Want To Exchange: All4All@hotmail.com
All4All